Comparison of Results
Several parameters can affect the test results, besides the fuel additive. To name a few:
• Climate conditions
• Power fluctuation
• Actual power level
• Cooling and lubricating system
• Fuel quality
• Fuel supply
• Although the accuracy and repeatability of the performed tests is not fully satisfactory, the measurements indicate that the fuel additive XBee affects the engine performance in a positive manner.
• A large decrease of CO at all power levels is measured.
• The measured reduction of NOx is significant, however, this is a difficult component dependant on many variables, amongst others ambient conditions. A standard conversion has been applied to correct for these circumstances.
• The observed reduction in specific fuel consumption is questionable due to the accuracy of the measured power, fuel rack, and fuel pump characteristics. However, the measurements also show that more CO2 per MT fuel and less CO is produced, which can indicate that the fuel combusts more efficiently.
• The inspection of the turbine and fuel injectors does not clearly point out that the engine is cleaner.
• Assuming that the price of XBee is about $ 30,000 per m3 and that a reduction in fuel consumption of about 1.4 % can be achieved, XBee becomes financially attractive when the price for a delivered MT of MDO is higher than $ 642.